Winter Trip 2010: Post #1
November 30, 2010 Leave a comment
I am currently sitting on a couch in an apartment in Jerusalem! It’s been two years since I could say that. I am very happy to be back.
I just got into Israel this afternoon (it is about 10:30 p.m. now. Below is a basic outline of what’s happened so far:
- I got to the St. Louis airport, later than planned of course, around 12:00 p.m. Monday. I avoided the full body scanner and went through a metal detector while a Catholic Priest was being frisked in the line next to me.
- I got into Philadelphia a bit early and did some last minute emails and phone calls. In the middle of it, everyone in the gate area for the upcoming Israel flight was asked to leave so security could get it ready for the flight. When I went back, they had put up a seperate wall. We all had to go through a second line of bag screening and metal detectors to go to Israel.
- My flight to Israel was long, but quite nice. I sat by some interesting people, slept a bit, read, and watched two movies. I was able to get Kosher meals, even though I had not requested them in advance.
- I went through passport control, retrieved my bags from baggage claim, and tried to rent a cell phone. Apparently you can no longer rent cell phones in Ben-Gurion Airport. I wish I had known about that change in advance.
- I took the train from the airport to Tel-Aviv Haganah train station. In the station I tried to rent a phone, no luck.
- I walked to the Tel-Aviv bus station down the street to catch a bus to Jerusalem. I also tried to rent a phone there. With no luck again, I bought a go phone.
- I experienced the Tel-Aviv/Jerusalem evening traffic.
- I went through the bus station in Jerusalem and got a bus to French Hill. The bus was very busy.
- In French Hill, I met the family I am spending the night with, had dinner, walked the dog, etc.
Tomorrow I plan to go to the newly renovated Israel Museum and who knows what else. In the evening, I go to a wedding outside of Jerusalem and it is also the first night of Chanukah. I’m excited!
Hopefully, I will be able to solidify more plans tomorrow. I don’t know how often (or detailed) I will be writing, but there should be an update here in a few days or this weekend at the latest.